Hive Autonomy AS
At Hive Autonomy, we lead the digital and autonomous transformation for logistics, enabling our customers to grow operations while driving the green shift. With advanced technologies, we revolutionize load-handling processes, making them safer, more productive, and sustainable. Our innovative solutions support customers in transitioning to digital operations and pave the way for autonomy-assisted processes across all vehicle types and brands. Located in Kristiansand, Norway, our diverse team of experts in mechatronics, AI, machine learning, software development, and ICT delivers cutting-edge technology and reliability throughout the digital transformation journey, from initial preparations to full autonomy. Together, we shape the future of autonomous load handling with a shared vision for innovation.
A bulk ship is a specialized merchant vessel designed for the economical transport of large quantities of unpackaged dry bulk cargo, such as minerals and grains, using its spacious cargo holds and efficient loading and unloading mechanisms.
The main objective of the internship is to lead the development of an advanced system for estimating the volume of bulk cargo in a ship, leveraging AI and vision systems.
Main objectives of the work:
- Design and develop AI-based vision systems to estimate the volume of cargo in bulk ships.
- Implement computer vision algorithms for accurate detection and segmentation of cargo commodities like corn.
- Train and fine-tune machine learning models to estimate remaining volume based on cargo density and distribution.
- Integrate the vision system with data acquisition sensors and other relevant systems.
- Test and validate the performance and accuracy of the volume estimation system using real-world data.
- Document and present findings, results, and recommendations to the team and stakeholders.
- Stay updated with the latest advancements in AI, computer vision, and volume estimation techniques.
What candidates can expect:
- Gain hands-on experience in developing AI-based vision systems for estimating cargo volume in bulk ships.
- Work closely with a skilled team of engineers and researchers in a collaborative and innovative environment.
- Contribute to the design, development, and optimization of algorithms and models for accurate volume estimation.
- Utilize computer vision techniques and machine learning algorithms to analyze cargo density and estimate remaining volume.
- Access to cutting-edge tools, technologies, and resources to support learning and professional growth.
- Receive mentorship and guidance from experienced professionals in the field of AI and computer vision.
- Opportunity to attend relevant conferences, workshops, and industry events to expand knowledge and network.
What we expect from candidates:
- Passion and enthusiasm for AI, computer vision, and machine learning, with a focus on volume estimation.
- Pursuing a degree in computer science, electrical engineering, or a related field.
- Strong programming skills, preferably with experience in Python and frameworks like TensorFlow or PyTorch.
- Familiarity with computer vision techniques, such as object detection, segmentation, and feature extraction.
- Knowledge of machine learning algorithms for regression and estimation tasks.
- Strong problem-solving skills and the ability to analyze and interpret data for volume estimation.
- Excellent communication and teamwork skills to collaborate effectively within the engineering team.
- Willingness to learn, adapt, and take on new challenges in a fast-paced and dynamic work environment.
The majority of the internship work will take place at our location in Sørlandsparken, conveniently situated just a 30-minute bus ride, followed by a walk of less than 20 minutes away from UiA in Grimstad. Some of the work may also be conducted from UiA in Grimstad.
The results achieved during the internship can seamlessly align with the scope and requirements of a bachelor’s or master’s project description.